Wednesday

MY CANTALOUPE SMOOTHIE


[Photo Source: Google online images "Cantaloupe"]

(6 Jun 2012 – Before I found this recipe, I did NOT really think of using CANTALOUPE for anything except to eat with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle of a half cantaloupe.  YUM!  Now, I look for cantaloupe in the Fresh Farmer's Markets and buy them several at a time.  I like to put the cantaloupe in the freezer so I can have it whenever.  To prepare the cantaloupe for the freezer:   I cut off the rind, remove the seeds, and cut up the cantaloupe into one-inch cubes (about) and freeze them in containers that hold about 2 cups.  Then during the winter (or anytime I have a craving for cantaloupe), I use the frozen cantaloupe cubes in SO MANY GREAT recipes!  Below is a recipe for my CANTALOUPE SMOOTHIE that I just LUV!  I also make homemade cantaloupe ice cream! Dorothy Hazel Tarr)

MY CANTALOUPE SMOOTHIE RECIPE

1 cup evaporated non-fat milk chilled
OR
1 cup non-fat milk chilled
OR
1 cup non-fat yogurt chilled
OR
1/3 cup powdered non-fat milk plus 1-cup ice cubes

SWEETEN TO TASTE (8 tsp white granulated sugar, OR artificial sweetener equivalent, OR 1 T honey)

2 tsp vanilla

½ tsp imitation butter flavoring

1 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeds removed, cut into cubes, and frozen

In a blender container, combine all ingredients except frozen cantaloupe (and ice cubes if you are using the powdered non-fat milk).  Start the blender, and blend  adding one cantaloupe frozen cube and one ice cube at a time to the blender (through the special opening in the blender's lid – so there is less splashing and it is safer).

VARIATIONS:
This recipe is also GREAT with FRESH PINEAPPLE!  Just use ½ medium pineapple, peeled, cut into one-inch cubes (about), and frozen.

AND, you can have FUN and try your own variations using other fresh fruits (banana, mango, plum, strawberry, peach, and apricot).

AND, you can use Google to search the internet for more variations and health and nutrition benefits.



No comments:

Post a Comment