Friday

GIFT CARD smoothie

                     [Photo Source: Google online images]

[8 Jun 2012 – WHAT does one do with a $5.00 gift card for Starbucks? 

Well, that is exactly the question I was posed with when I went to Starbucks (inside my local Safeway store) to redeem my gift card.  At first, I was going to get a decadent coffee with the 'works'.  Then as I was talking with my server person, I noticed a photo of smoothies that were being offered.  So, I changed my mind on the spot (since I'm a smoothie kind of gal), and placed my order for a strawberry smoothie with the 'works'.  It cost $5.00 exactly (with tax)!  Well, normally I do NOT spend that kind of money (out of my social security budget) for a smoothie!  However, since it was a gift card, I felt like treating myself!  It was great!  Moreover, I enjoyed it while I was doing some grocery shopping at Safeway.

Now, this little treat really put me in mind to have a homemade smoothie!  So here is my recipe!  ENJOY!  Dorothy Hazel Tarr]

                           [Photo Source: Google online images]

My SMOOTHIE – Kiwi, Banana, Pineapple, Strawberry

2 or 3 kiwi (peeled, and chilled)
1 cup banana slices (frozen) (TIP:  I always peel, slice and freeze my bananas that are getting too ripe, so I can use them in recipes. One banana makes about one cup of slices.)
¾ cup pineapple juice (chilled)
½ cup strawberries (frozen) (TIP:  I always wash and freeze the strawberries that I get from the local Farmer's Market on the same day I buy them.)
1 cup yogurt (chilled)
1 cup ice cubes
1 T honey (OR, sweeten to taste with your favorite artificial sweetener)
½ tsp imitation butter extract flavoring (or any of your favorite flavorings: like vanilla, rum, coconut, orange, lemon, OR don't use any flavorings or extracts)

Pour the liquid ingredients into a blender first (yogurt counts as liquid).  Add all the fruit in at once.  Don't forget to add any of your special flavorings.  Blend until SMOOTHIE!

Pour into a tall chilled container and enjoy with a straw and spoon.

FOR, a real treat, top off your smoothie with some whipped cream (out of a spray can—of course!)!  Now, that is a decadent smoothie!

Servings:

One jumbo smoothie or two medium-sized smoothies.

AND, IF there are any leftovers, just pour your leftover smoothie into popsicle molds for a great, homemade cold smoothie popsicle treat!


Variations:

Try using two or more other fruit combinations for a taste treat or just use them solo for a true flavor boost (banana, shredded coconut, peach, apricot, plum, papaya, mango, raspberry, apple, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, cantaloupe, watermelon).

And, for flavorings try using one of these (peanut butter, coffee powder, cocoa powder, rum extract flavoring, walnut extract flavoring, or 1 Tablespoon of your favorite fruit flavored liqueur).

In addition, for juices, try using one or more of these (orange juice, pineapple juice, pomegranate juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, guava nectar, apricot nectar).

In addition, in place of the yogurt, try using non-fat milk or soymilk, coconut milk, or NO MILK—just add more ice cubes and/or juice in place of the yogurt or milk.

There are no limits to the combinations.  HOWEVER, if you need more hints or recipes, there is always the internet where so many recipes and ideas are readily available with GOOGLE search.

ENJOY!

                             [Photo Source: Google online images]

No comments:

Post a Comment