Monday

LIFE – NOT JUST A MERRY-GO-ROUND

          [PHOTO SOURCE: GOOGLE online images 'Merry Go Round']



[April 2012 -- Don't ask me why I wrote this and paired it with a Merry-Go-Round, for there are no children in the senior community where I reside and I rarely see a playground.  So just, put it down as thinking fanciful thoughts about my Life and all that has gone on about me, while I was waiting for my turn to 'ride'.]
Submitted by: Dorothy Hazel Tarr



Have you ever watched children on the playground taking turns on the Merry-Go-Round ride?

I recall, like it was yesterday, climbing on the Merry-Go-Round and feeling the breeze brush my cheeks, and getting a little dizzy watching the world spin around me.

Yes, the world seemed to spin around me, and I was at its center (my favorite and choicest spot).  The center spot was the easiest place to be if others were pushing the merry-go-round, for one could just enjoy the ride without expending any effort.

When I was in an adventurist mode, I would hang on the bars at the edge and run alongside to push and make it go round faster; then jump on to the edge and feel the G-force of the fast ride.  Sometimes I would hang out a hand or foot to feel the rush of my blood flow to my fingers and toes—it felt good to be so alive and youthful.

Oh, those were the days!

But, you know what!  My LIFE has been spinning around me all the time, while I was seemingly getting ready for the ride.  First, I went to school, college, marriage, child birthing, raising a small family, then more college and a career, then divorce, and it just went by faster and faster.

Now at the end of my ride, in my Winter Years, I look back and tears flood my eyes at all that went by – just spinning about me.  Little is left from those years that sped by so quickly.

My grandparents, aunts, uncles, mother, cousins, and friends have all finished their rides (aka died) and I'm alone here.  And, it is just no fun pushing that ole Merry-Go-Round by myself.



             [PHOTO SOURCE: GOOGLE online images 'Merry Go Round']


---------------

SOURCE LINKS—
 
The History of the Merry Go Round:
Def: On the playground, the merry-go-round is generally a simple, child-powered rotating platform with bars and/or handles for children to hold onto while riding.  Merry-go-rounds on the playground and colorful carousels at the theme park have fascinated and delighted both children and adults for many, many years.  They will continue to be a source of entertainment for years to come as future generations enjoy the thrill of the wind whipping through their hair as they ride the “flying horses.”

[http://www.infobarrel.com/The_History_of_the_Merry_Go_Round]




No comments:

Post a Comment